Friday, November 20, 2009

A movie a day project - start

I'm going to go out on a limb here, I think this might be kind of fun. I'm a big movie guy, having seen well into the 80s on both AFI lists of 100 greatest films and comedies of all time. I've been a movie dork for a long time, making it a point to see the 5 best picture nominees every year before the Oscars air. So I think I'm slightly qualified to write every day about film. I challenged myself a few years ago to read over 100 books in a year, which I did (including 38 books on tape too). This challenge is, or at least I think it might be, easier than that one. I want to challenge myself to watch a movie a day and write about it. I think someone once said that imitation is the fondest form of flattery, and I freely admit I am very inspired by the wonderful Horror Movie a Day blog I read all the time. It seems to me that, for lack of a better reason, it'll be good brain work to take on a thing like this. Plus, I love film, I really do. Sincerely.

Anyway, here are the guidelines I'm setting aside for myself:
1) Films can be previously viewed (not the purchase category, more as in, I've seen them before) but the idea is not to just write up favorites or (for the most part) movies I've seen 20 times. I love Ghostbusters and I love L.A. Confidential, so I really don't see the point in going over them again, at least for this little project.

2) Every day counts. There are no skip days unless its an emergency. Considering rental downloads on iTunes, my own collection, the .49 piles at Goodwill, there is no real reason to skip a day. Also, if there is more than one movie in a day, I'll write more than one. I won't do a 'geez I saw such-in-such a month ago, I'll write about that.' Even if its a re-view, it has to actually be a re-view, not a remembering back type of deal.

3) Will branch out into every genre if possible. Chances are, more of the movies will be thriller, horror and crime-type things. But a romantic comedy, comedy-comedy or any other number of genres may pop in. The idea is variety, not only of film type, but if writing. Part of this project is to write in a serial but unique way about film. Also, TV shows dont count. Even if its a DVD collection type of thing. The idea is movies as movies, not TV episodes.

4) WILL NOT employ the BS platitudes and shirt puffing styles of know-it-alls on Amazon or other places. I feel that you have to kind of like film or like things in general in order to make it work. I intend not to completely sneer at something 100% through and through. I may greatly dislike it, but the condescending approach is uninteresting to me.

5) As I can figure it out, I will add Twitter and Facebook to this thing so that the updates ultimately mean something in some capacity.

6) The reviews will be posted most often during my lunch hour during the week and as I'm able during the weekend. As lame as it sounds, I dont believe its a good idea to take actual work time to do this. Its better, I think, to use my own time.

7) Finally, and most importantly, try to provide something interesting, funny, slightly snarky, slightly insightful and a viable alternative to staring a blank sheet of paper for 5 minutes in a day.

So there we go, and here we go...wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment